While the NSAA volleyball postseason started last night with subdistrict play in Class C-1, C-2, D-1 and D-2, a vast majority of the drama will come tonight as teams pursue trips to state.
A total of 37 subdistrict champions will be crowned tonight, joining the 19 that earned their titles last night. All eight of the Class B subdistrict tournaments will be completed tonight along with seven in Class C-1, C-2 and D-2 while there will be eight completed in D-1.
In Class B, the eight subdistrict champions and eight wild cards are reseeded and play in the Sweet 16 on Saturday, with the high seed hosting the match.
Meanwhile, in Class C-1, C-2, D-1 and D-2, the 12 subdistrict champions and four wild cards are reseeded and play in the Sweet 16 on Saturday at neutral sites.
With so much volleyball left to play, it’s hard to determine exactly what those Sweet 16 matches will look like. Unless you lock a guy in a room with the NSAA website and a spreadsheet for a few days and tell him to figure it out. So, that’s what we did and here is what shook out.
Again, these are just projections based on anticipated results and are UNOFFICIAL. There are bound to be upsets tonight, which would greatly change the projected Sweet 16 fields. So, remember this is just a quasi-educated guess. Official match-ups will be released on Thursday.
Teams in BOLD have already qualified.
*- indicates team is projected to receive a wild card.
Team seeds in ().
(16) North Platte at (1) Elkhorn South*
(15) Columbus at (2) Skutt Catholic
(14) Platteview* at (3) Omaha Duchesne
(13) Bennington* at (4) Alliance
(12) Beatrice* at (5) Waverly
(11) Grand Island Northwest* at (6) Sidney*
(10) Elkhorn* at (7) Norris*
(9) Seward at (8) Hastings
(16) West Point-Beemer vs. (1) Lincoln Lutheran
(15) Omaha Brownell-Talbot vs. (2) Wahoo
(14) Omaha Concordia vs. (3) St. Paul
(13) Ogallala vs. (4) Bishop Neumann*
(12) Malcolm* vs. (5) Grand Island Central Catholic
(11) Minden* vs. (6) Syracuse
(10) Chadron vs. (7) Columbus Scotus
(9) Mitchell* vs. (8) Wayne
(16) Crofton vs. (1) Superior
(15) Bridgeport vs. (2) Stanton
(14) Centennial vs. (3) Blue Hill
(13) Wisner-Pilger vs. (4) Thayer Central*
(12) Burwell vs. (5) Hartington Cedar Catholic
(11) Freeman vs. (6) Doniphan-Trumbull*
(10) South Loup vs. (7) Hastings St. Cecilia*
(9) Palmyra vs. (8) Battle Creek*
(16) Lawrence-Nelson vs. (1) Archbishop Bergan
(15) Meridian vs. (2) Johnson-Brock
(14) Elkhorn Valley vs. (3) Humphrey-Lindsay HF*
(13) Overton vs. (4) Pleasanton
(12) Hartington-Newcastle vs. (5) Nebraska Christian
(11) Giltner* vs. (6) Diller-Odell*
(10) Central Valley* vs. (7) North Platte St. Patrick’s
(9) Cambridge vs. (8) Lutheran High Northeast
(16) South Platte vs. (1) BDS
(15) Maywood-Hayes Center vs. (2) Ewing
(14) Crawford* vs. (3) Mullen
(13) Hyannis vs. (4) Wynot
(12) Bertrand vs. (5) Exeter-Milligan*
(11) Humphrey St. Francis vs. (6) CWC*
(10) Mead* vs. (7) Cody-Kilgore
(9) Kenesaw vs. (8) Falls City Sacred Heart
Photo credit / Berk Brown of nebpreps